It’s World Toilet Day today! Yes, that really is a thing
To mark the occasion, we’ve decided to share some tips as we know the thought of attempting potty training can be a scary concept!
1. Make sure your child is ready – are they telling you they need to go or can they go about an hour without a wet nappy?
2. Choose a good time – this needs dedicated time. Maybe pick where you are off work and just staying at home.
3. Get yourself a potty, toilet insert and step Stoll – getting your child involved in picking it might help too.
4. Let your toddler set the pace – maybe have them sit on the potty fully clothed for a bit. If they tell you they need to go, encourage sitting on it. Letting them think that it was their idea and you aren’t pushing it is the best way to go.
5. Have a few potties – having a potty downstairs is great for ease but one upstairs in the bathroom is great for associating the bathroom with toilet time and will make the transition from potty to toilet easier.
6. Have a schedule – you will probably know your child’s schedule and can roughly tell when they will poo each day. We suggest leaving the nappy off around that time and asking if they want to use the potty instead. This can be difficult so don’t be disheartened if they aren’t having any of it. Just keep trying.
7. Give praise! – children thrive on praise and visuals like a sticker chart can do wonders for encouraging toddlers to keep going on the potty.
We have a variety of potty training items available to buy in store and online.